• 0

Here’s what we know about the victims of the Spanish terror attacks

Citizens from 34 different countries were caught up in the Barcelona terror attack on Thursday, according to Spanish authorities.

Fourteen people were killed and at least 126 were injured after a suspected terrorist drove a van into tourists on the bustling Las Ramblas boulevard at around 5 p.m. local time (CET).

In a second, related incident in the city of Cambrils hours later, another seven were injured, including a police officer, when a car rammed into members of the public. Five suspected terrorists were shot dead by police.

A US citizen died in the attack, while UK Prime Minister Theresa May said there is an “urgent” search for a missing child who is a dual British national.

The Catalonian emergency services tweeted a graphic with the nations affected by the attack, the deadliest on Spanish soil since train bombings killed 192 in Madrid in 2004.

Les víctimes mortals i ferits atemptats #Cambrils i #Barcelona són (balanç provisional) de 34 nacionalitats diferents pic.twitter.com/IZCYMg1zJQ

— EmergènciesCatalunya (@emergenciescat) August 18, 2017

It also confirmed that 120 people were injured in Barcelona and six others were injured in Cambrils. Sixty-five people were admitted to hospital: 61 to hospitals in Barcelona and four to hospitals in Tarrgona, a port city near Cambrils. Seventeen people in Barcelona are in critical condition.

France’s foreign minister, Jean-Yves Le Drian, said 28 French people were injured. Three Germans were involved, said local broadcaster ZDF.

This post will be updated with information as it develops (click here to refresh). Here’s what we know about the victims so far:

Ian Moore Wilson, Canada.

Vancouver Police Department
Ian Moore Wilson was the father of a Vancouver Police Department officer, according to a statement released through the unit.

His daughter Fiona Wilson said: “He was compassionate, generous, adventurous, and always game for a lively debate, a good book, exploring new places, and a proper-sized pint.”

She said an unknown motorist rushed Wilson to hospital on his scooter after he was hit by the van.

Jared Tucker, 43, US.

Getty Images
Heidi Munoz was separated from her husband Jared Tucker in Barcelona during the attack. She needs help finding him. pic.twitter.com/3jvksIjaHs

— Michael Del Moro (@MikeDelMoro) August 18, 2017

The US State Department confirmed that at least one American was killed and another was injured in Barcelona and Cambrils, according to the AP.

It did not identify either of the casualties, but Jared Tucker’s family later confirmed he was killed after being on holiday in Barcelona with his wife, Heidi.

Heidi told NBC News: “I got pushed inside the souvenir kiosk and stayed there hiding while everybody kept running by, screaming.”

Bruno Gulotta, 35, Italy.

The first victim of the Barcelona terror attack has been named as Bruno Gulotta pic.twitter.com/Rr1S98rhkH

— Sky News (@SkyNews) August 18, 2017

Bruno Gulotta, 35, was killed in Barcelona. He worked as a sales and marketing manager at Tom’s Hardware, a PC hardware company, in Legnano, a northern Italian town near Milan.

Gulotta was the father to two young children, Alessandro and Aria, and partner to Martina, Roberto Buonanno, the country manager for Tom’s Hardware Italia, wrote in a statement published Friday. Alessandro is preparing to start primary school this year.

Gulotta and his family were walking down Las Ramblas when the attack happened, Pino Bruno, another of Gulotta’s colleagues, told Italian news agency Ansa. Bruno was killed while shielding his children.

The mayor of Legnano, Giambattista Fratus, confirmed Gulotta’s death at a press conference.

According to a translation from the Telegraph, Buonanno wrote of Gulotta: “He was able to lead a rich family life and a brilliant professional career with a balance- and that I will always envy him.”

Tom’s Hardware featured a black ribbon on the top of its homepage on Friday.

Luca Russo, 25, Italy.

One of the 14 victims of the Barcelona attack: Luca Russo from Italy. pic.twitter.com/rrRKyp6rqK

— Domenic Fazioli (@DomenicFazioli) August 18, 2017

Luca Russo, from the northern Italian city of Bassano del Grappa, was killed in Barcelona, the Corriere del Veneto reported.

The electrical engineer was with his girlfriend, Marta Scamazzo, at the time. The Italian foreign ministry confirmed that Scamazzo is being treated for fractures at a Barcelona hospital, according to the Telegraph reported. She is not in serious condition.

“Italy will remember Bruno Gulotta and Luca Russo and expresses its solidarity with their families,” Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni wrote in a tweet, in a BBC translation from Italian. “Freedom will triumph over barbarism and terrorism.”

“Everyone describes him as an exceptional lad who had real desire to get things done and to do good,” said Riccardo Poletto, Bassano del Grappa’s mayor, according to a translation published by the Telegraph. “Everybody here is lost for words at the news.”

Francisco López Rodríguez, 60, Granada.

Raquel Baron Lopez
Francisco López Rodríguez, from the southern Spanish town of Lanteira, was named as the first Spanish victim of the attack, Spain’s El País reported. His wife was seriously injured, and her niece and her son were also killed. Their names remain unknown.

The photos tweeted above are from Rodríguez’s niece, Raquel Baron Lopez. She tweeted them while searching for her uncle.

Elke Vanbockrijck, 44, Belgium.

David Ramos/Getty

Belgian officials said a woman from the town of Tongeren was killed in the van rampage. Her name was Elke Vanbockrijck, AP reports.

Belgian media said the 44-year-old woman was holidaying in Barcelona with her husband and sons, according to AP.

Patrick Dewael, the mayor of Tongeren, confirmed on Twitter that someone from his town had died in the attack.

Ana Maria Suarez, Spain.

Nuestro afecto para la familia de Ana María Suárez, fallecida en el atentado de Cambrils. Y nuestro deseo de recuperación para los heridos.

— Casa de S.M. el Rey (@CasaReal) August 18, 2017

The Spanish royal family confirmed Ana Maria Suarez’s death. She was killed in Cambrils and was with her husband and sister, who were both injured in the attack, according to Radio Television Espanola.

A seven-year-old boy from Australia is missing.

Julian Cadman. Sarah Auzner/Facebook
Julian Alessandro Cadman, 7, went missing after the attack in Barcelona. He and his mother, Jom, were in the city for a wedding, and Jom is in hospital in serious but stable condition.

Julian’s grandfather, Tony Cadman, is on his way to Barcelona to search for his grandson, the ABC reported.

Reports in Britain suggest that Julian Cadman is a dual British national. This could mean he is the British national Theresa May referred to, although this is not currently clear.

His British cousin, George Cadman, posted a now-removed picture of Julian on Facebook. It showed him in a uniform from Chiddingstone Nursery, which is in Kent.

British authorities are “urgently looking into reports of a child believed missing who is a British dual national” and “offering consular assistance” to those affected, May said on Friday.

The youngest victim of the attack is a three-year-old girl, according to the Guardian.

El País said a three-year-old child from Rubí, a municipality near Barcelona, died in the attack. It is unclear whether its report is connected to the Guardian’s.

TAGSBarcelonaBarcelona AttackDeathFeaturesTerror Attack


You may also like...