Paulo Coelho is a Brazilian novelist and one of the most widely read writers in the world. He is mostly known for his book Alchemist, which has been translated into 80 languages and sold more than 65 million copies worldwide.
This book is the reason he holds the Guinness World Record for having the most translated book by a living author. Today, he is much loved for his books, which have sold over 190 million copies in more than 150 countries across the world.
Coelho dreamed of being a writer from an early age, but he was discouraged by his parents who wanted him to become a lawyer. His rebellious nature made him quit law school after only one term to become a hippie and start living a carefree lifestyle characterized by sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll.
At the age of 38, Coelho traveled to Spain and realized that it was about time to listen to his intuition and pursue his lifelong dream of becoming a writer. He quit his other jobs and started writing full-time.
Life-changing life experience
If you’ve read some of his books, then you realize that they are life-changing. His words challenge you to see the world, your thoughts and yourself from a different angle.
His writing is sincere and straightforward, and makes you feel like he is talking only to you. Coelho is the perfect example of how life can be tough for all of us, but it is our perspective that determines whether we are willing to fight obstacles like a warrior or a dispirited loser.
When life is hard, remember that one Coelho quote a day keeps the demons at bay. He will answer all of your complicated life questions and inspire you to carve your own path and live a more fulfilling life.
Use this collection of quotes as a personal daily dose of inspiration that will help you change your life for the better.
When you’re lacking courage
Bravery isn’t something we are born with. We learn to be brave by facing our fears and challenging ourselves with new experiences. Start by making a decision to be brave, accept your mental limitations and have a positive attitude about your accomplishments. Remember to keep doing things that scare you, and be grateful for the moments you feel courageous every day.
- “Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.”
- “If you want to see a rainbow you have to learn to see the rain.”
- “If you want to be successful, you must respect one rule—Never lie to yourself.”
- “Don’t give in to your fears. If you do, you won’t be able to talk to your heart.”
- “There is only one thing that makes a dream impossible to achieve: the fear of failure.”
- “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.”
- “If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine. It is lethal.”
- “Imagine a new story for your life and start living it.”
- “Everything tells me that I am about to make a wrong decision, but making mistakes is just part of life. What does the world want of me? Does it want me to take no risks, to go back to where I came from because I didn’t have the courage to say “yes” to life?”
- “When you find your path, you must not be afraid. You need to have sufficient courage to make mistakes. Disappointment, defeat, and despair are the tools God uses to show us the way.”
- “If you’re brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello.”
When you are afraid of change
If making decisions does not come naturally to you and you always worry about making “bad” choices in life, you should start changing that habit by giving yourself some practice.
First things first, you should realize that being indecisive is also a decision. That means that if you choose a different path in your brain and stop imagining the worst possible scenario, you will eventually learn that making changes in life is actually a good thing that can make you feel more confident and fulfilled in the long run.
- “People want to change everything and, at the same time want it all to remain the same.”
- “People are capable, at any time in their lives, of doing what they dream of.”
- “And when you want something, the entire universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
- “Life has a way of testing a person’s will, either by having nothing happen at all or by having everything happen at once.”
- “At a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what’s happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That’s the world’s greatest lie.”
- “When I had nothing to lose, I had everything. When I stopped being who I am, I found myself.”
When you think love is hard
Always remember to follow your heart and stay honest to yourself. The truth is that we all need love to feel happy, but following our personal goals and desires is equally important.
You should never give up on love or your dreams, but find a way where both find their place in your life. Both are equally and highly important for living a happy and fulfilled life.
True love won’t fetter anyone’s personal growth. Instead, it nourishes mutual development to both partners. No matter how seductive “I need you,” may sound in the romantic movies, the partner who needs you cannot freely love you.
- “In love, no one can harm anyone else; we are each of us responsible for our own feelings and cannot blame someone else for what we feel.”
- “You must understand that love never keeps a man from pursuing his personal legend. If he abandons that pursuit, it’s because it wasn’t a true love… The love that speaks the language of the world.”
- “No one loses anyone because no one owns anyone. That is the true experience of freedom: having the most important thing in the world without owning it”
- “Love is not to be found in someone else but in ourselves; we simply awaken it. But in order to do that, we need the other person.”
- “The moment we begin to seek love, love begins to seek us. And to save us.”
- “When someone leaves, it’s because someone else is about to arrive.”
- “Human beings can withstand a week without water, two weeks without food, many years of homelessness, but not loneliness. It is the worst of all tortures, the worst of all sufferings.”
- “Remember that wherever your heart is, there you will find your treasure. You’ve got to find the treasure so that everything you have learned along the way can make sense.”
When life teaches you a lesson
We never know what the universe has in store for us. Despite that, we must trust that there is a force greater than us. Follow your curiosity passionately—whatever that is.
Being constantly curious is what will make you different from the average people. Dig in places where no one was before, follow your vision and be amazed how extraordinary life can be.
Forget about success, wealth and fame. Instead, you should strive to be of value, to create something on your own step-by-step so that you can appreciate your accomplishments when they come.
- “All you have to do is pay attention: lessons always arrive when you are ready.”
- “A child can teach an adult three things: to be happy for no reason, to always be busy with something, and to know how to demand with all his might that which he desires.”
- “Straight roads do not make skillful drivers.”
- “The more violent the storm, the quicker it passes.”
- “I see the world in terms of what I would like to see happen, not what actually does.”
If lately you’ve been feeling blue about your life choices, check out these amazing Paulo Coelho quotes and regain control of your life. Do you know of other empowering quotes that have changed your life?