Subramanian Swamy at Parliament House. (Express Photo: Praveen Jain)
The Congress has said it will move a privilege motion against Subramanian Swamy on Friday, claiming that the 13-page document authenticated and tabled by the Rajya Sabha member — from which he quoted during his speech in the House on the AgustaWestland chopper deal — was “bogus”. The Congress also said it would move a privilege motion against Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar for a similar reason.
“During the debate on May 4 (in Rajya Sabha), Swamy had levelled many allegations and said many baseless things. He had said that he was reading from the judgment of the Italian court. We had at that time demanded that he authenticate the documents…. He took two days… I went through the documents today. He had lied using wrong documents,” Congress leader Jairam Ramesh said.
Share This Article Related Article
- AgustaWestland row: ‘Chair has not authenticated any paper tabled by Subramanian Swamy ’
- Five Questions: Swamy is in the habit of making wild allegations without substantiating them, says Jairam Ramesh
- AgustaWestland chopper scam: Kurien asks Swamy to produce documents
- AgustaWestland deal: How did Swamy get sensitive files, asks Congress
- During House discussion, it was more Cong vs Swamy than Cong vs Govt
- BJP MP Subramanian moves privilege against Azad, seeks debate on ‘paid news cancer’
Ramesh said that among the 13 pages Swamy had tabled and authenticated, there was a two-page email that Swamy had sent to himself, nine pages taken from a website http://www.pgurus.com run by a person who Ramesh identified as Sree Iyer from Silicon Valley, and two pages of a news report of a television channel.
Ramesh claimed the owner of the website was a “Modi bhakt and was present in Modi’s meeting in Silicon Valley”.
“Swamy had downloaded the Italian court’s judgment from this website. And the nine pages are full of lies. The Congress will file a defamation case against this website. This website is connected with the Sangh Parivar. The Italian court’s judgment has nothing against the Congress leadership…,” he said.
Ramesh said the Congress would file a notice for moving a privilege motion against the defence minister, too.…>