Condemning police canning and detainment of 23 traditional fishermen during ‘peaceful’ protest demanding ban of the use of LED light at fishing by mechanised vessels, the Goa unit of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) demanded judicial probe into the matter.
Goa Secretary Valmiki Naik said that the state BJP government was trying to suppress genuine demands of traditional fishermen besides putting their livelihood at stake. “They are violently trying to crush peaceful protest, the police personnel and the senior authorities must be held accountable,” Naik said.
Share This Article Related Article
- Goa: Govt gives nod to sea plane landing in Madovri river despite fishermen protest
- N-plant: Protesters lay siege to Kudankulam
- Kudankulam: Anti-nuclear protesters lay siege to port as stir spreads
- Protests turn violent,one killed
- 600 fishermen missing or stranded in Arabian Sea
- Goa killings: Four fishermen held
However, the state police officials said that the protesters had blockaded the vehicle of Director of Fisheries, Sharmila Rebello, and also presumed that there was an attempt to assault on her, due to which they resorted to lathi-charge to disperse the crowd and…