In order to win back the hearts of its users, the latest version of the Fox offers many improvements and new features. One of the new features is “Firefox Sync” which will help users to synchronize their bookmarks across computers. While the feature might not be useful for users with one computer, those who work with multiple computers will really appreciate this ability.
Setting Up The Sync Environment
- To utilize the sync feature, make sure that all of your computers have Firefox 4 installed. If your Firefox is still the older version, you need to download the latest version first.
- After Firefox 4 is installed, open it up and go to the “Set Up Sync” menu. In the Mac version, this menu is located under “Tools“; while in the Windows version, it’s under the “Firefox” menu.
- You can choose one of the computers to start setting up your Firefox Sync account and add the other computers to the account later. Click the “Create a New Account” button in the “Firefox Sync Setup” window.
- Continue by filling in your email address and chosen password in the Account Details.
- You will get the “Sync Key”. You will use the key to set up and add another computer to the sync account. Due to its importance, it’s advisable to save the key and keep it safe.
- The key will be saved as an HTML file. If you have a Dropbox account and have the application installed on the other computers that you use, it’s a good idea to save the Firefox Sync Key file in the Dropbox folder so you can access it easily.
- Now the set up process is complete. Click the “Done” button to wrap up.
Adding Other Firefoxes To The System
The next step is to add other Firefoxes in other computers to your account.
- Go to the “Set Up Sync” menu on the other Firefox and start the setup process again.
- But now click the “Connect” button instead of “Create A New Account“.
- You will see “Add a Device” window and you will have three sets of codes. Leave this window open for a while and go back to the first computer where you set up the Firefox Sync account.
- In the first computer, open “Preferences” and choose the “Sync” tab. Click the “Add a Device” link and write down the three codes that you got in the previous step.
- It’s possible that you may not have the first computer with you when you add another computer to your sync account. In this case, click the “I don’t have the device with me” link under the three sets of codes. This other option requires you to sign in with your Sync account. Type in your email address and password. Open the saved Firefox Sync Key HTML file and type in the Sync Key.
- And that’s it. You’ve just added another computer to your sync account. Repeat the process for other computers that you use and you are ready to sync your bookmarks across computers.
- To start syncing, open the Firefox menu and choose “Sync Now” under Windows or “Tools – Sync Now” under Mac.
If you are an Android phone user, you can also use the sync feature by installing Firefox on your phone. There’s no Firefox version available for iPhone, but iPhone users can use an app called Firefox Home that will sync and store your Firefox bookmarks.
What do you think of multi-computer bookmark sync systems? Do you use them? Do you prefer Firefox’s built-in system or do you have a better alternative that you use? Share your opinions and knowledge using the comments below.