Union Minister Piyush Goyal said the country is looking at “ramping up its clean energy source significantly” without compromising on safety of people while ensuring that power from this source is affordable. (Source: Express photo)
India is looking at ramping up nuclear energy production in a big way with renewed thrust on clean energy resources, Union Minister Piyush Goyal on Thursday said.
“Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given nuclear energy a renewed thrust. We got into nuclear engagement with US in 2008 but from 2008 to 2014 we have seen a hiatus… now we are into missile technology regime… The amount of progress done in the last two years is pronounced… we are poised to enter into the nuclear age in a big way,” Power, Coal and Mines Minister Goyal said at Infocom 2016 in New Delhi.
Goyal said the country is looking at “ramping up its clean energy source significantly” without compromising on safety of people and the government would ensure that power from this source is affordable.
Share This Article Related Article
- I inherited a situation where I had no choice…things brighter now: Piyush Goyal
- Cabinet may approve new power tariff policy next week
- Piyush Goyal confident of power generation doubling in 7 years
- Government working hard on its goal of corruption-free India: Union Energy Minister Piyush Goyal
- N-power plant will stay in Jaitapur, says Centre
- Piyush Goyal: Govt geared up for coal block allocations post SC verdict
Watch Video: What’s making news
“We will never compromise on safety of our people… we will ensure power is affordable… with these two caveats we are very keen to promote nuclear energy in a big way. We are able to get uranium supplies,” the minister said.
He added the country is close to setting a technology framework and is very close to getting into the nuclear suppliers group.
At the same time he said there was need to do away with fear psychosis and cited …