Sanjaya Baru said it would be “fantastic” if Modi government honours former PM of India with the Bharat Ratna on his 95th birthday. (Source: file photo)
It would be a “fantastic gesture” by the NDA government if it announces Bharat Ratna to P V Narasimha Rao, said Sanjaya Baru, who has been media advisor to former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
“I think next week is the 95th birth anniversary of P V Narasimha Rao. It would be a fantastic gesture on the part of Prime Minister (Narendra) Modi to announce ‘Bharat Ratna’ (to Rao),” he said in reply to a query from audience during a panel discussion to mark the 25th anniversary of Rao becoming India’s Prime Minister.
Baru’s new book “1991-the year that changed India” would be released next month.
Share This Article Related Article
- Narasimha Rao was elected for PM's post by Congress MPs, not nominated: Baru
- Black money can be brought back from abroad: Subramanian Swamy
- Telangana pays tribute to former PM Narasimha Rao on his birthday
- Test of a prime minister
- KCR bats for Bharat Ratna to Narasimha Rao
- KCR bats for Bharat Ratna to P V Narasimha Rao on his 93rd birth anniversary ; Naidu calls ex-PM a 'legend'
Watch Video: What’s making news
Baru hailed the contributions of Rao as the Prime Minister who initiated the economic reforms in the country and steered the country in difficult times.
Former CBI director K Vijayarama Rao and Rao’s grandson Subhash, a BJP leader, were the other panelists in the discussion held last night.
Contrary to the “popular perception”, Rao was elected as the Prime Minister by Congress MPs in 1991 and not nominated to the post, Baru said on the occasion.